Monday, July 2, 2007

Get your kid and mother hating on!

In her latest post, Twisty has a new theory that the patriarchy is to blame for obnoxious kids. Just when I thought Twisty and her readers couldn't get any more repulsive, they've gone and surprised me by kicking it up a notch. The discussion is whether women should have women only beaches (no kids allowed!). How do these women live being so fucking oppressed 24/7? Life is fucking brutal for them and removing children from the beaches would most definitely improve their quality of life. Children make too much noise! Children run around too much! Children don't behave! I guess all these women are conveniently forgetting that they were once noisy, rambunctious, obnoxious kids, too.

I wish someone would explain to me what the hell is wrong with online feminists. Some of the comments in this thread have to be read to be believed and I will post some of the more incredulously hateful ones in a moment. I'm guessing these are grown women who are hating on children and mothers like this and it is, in a word, despicable. I've got to believe that these are women who don't feel valued or loved in this world because it has always been my experience that it's the people who lack self-esteem and self love who need to put other people down. They do this so that they don't have to take the time to examine their own feelings and it's just such a pity because life is short and these women are simply living one miserable day after another with no end to their misery anywhere in sight.

On the one hand they are agreeing that children are oppressed and then they condone oppressing children so that women can romp on the beach by themselves without any kiddos around. I know! How hypocritical!

Without further ado, I present the mother and children haters:

roamaround says:

"And speaking of being antifeminist, the shared loathing of the (white, yuppy) mothers and the male staff at my pool toward the single (white, nerdy) women who dared to object to the new Kid’s Swim is patriarchy in action. They might as well be chanting “burn the witch.”
It’s not about objecting to the children’s existence. The kids take over four of the six lanes previously reserved for lap swim and jump all over making waves and throwing balls on your head. It’s pretty much a nightmare for us serious swimmers, most of whom are women.
If there is a class and/or entitlement issue, it’s the yuppy mothers who are the ones who seem to me to feel entitled in this case. They don’t want to take their kids to the Y with all the riff raff, so of course we should all be thrilled with Johnny’s bomb dive."

Hattie says:

Now you wouldn’t want to deprive the little lads of their first lessons in female anatomy, would you? Nothing irritates me more than little boys gazing their fill in the woman’s locker room. Or even little girls, to tell you the truth. Most mothers teach their children to be discreet, but some don’t. Some have this odd belief that the whole world is a “learning experience” for their kids. Mothers of sons are the major offenders along those lines.I think a woman’s only beach is a great idea. Just because it’s outdoors should make no difference."

Silence says:

Which brings me to my next comment — why is it that kids scream for their MAMA’s attention twenty-four hours a day? Would women need beaches where kids weren’t allowed if the men who sired the little dears were more involved in their lives? Or if society had advanced to the point where kids didn’t have to be neurotic balls of neediness?
My opinion is that in the world we inhabit today there is no ideal compromise. In our society, women are expected to have children, to love them, and to bury their own desires for the sake of their children’s needs. (And I’m not even getting into their husband’s needs here!) These expectations are not made of men. If they were, this wouldn’t be a feminist issue. So let women have a child-free beach, preferably with a supervised child beach nearby where they can drop off their young ones if they have no one to watch them for an hour or two. Because although we all want to think that children are wonderful, the truth is, the way they’re socialized now, they can quickly become insufferable with their screaming and running. Blame the patriarchy, but in the meantime, let women get a little rest.
Personally, I like kids the same way I like everybody else. That is, some are simply delightful and others I’d just as soon drop-kick into the nearest river.

Carol says:

I don’t have a problem with children per se. I deal with children well and talk to them like people. What I find really annoying are the people that immediately start screaming “what about the CHILDREN?” every time something goes wrong. The oil refinery has a toxic spill “what about the children living downwind?”, the public park gets closed for maintenance “What about the children?” An ice cream shop proprietor posted a small sign asking that children “Please use your inside voice” was pilloried. Give me a break. Yes, children are people too. No argument. But I am supposed to be well behaved. So can they. It can be taught. It should be taught. By BOTH parents. A child-free zone on a beach is not the problem. The assumption that children who have not been taught the basic politeness that the rest of us have should have the right to run roughshod over us polite people is ridiculous. If a child kicks sand on me and I ask little Johnny to please go over their and kick, I should be able to expect that Johnny will not start screaming at me and kick more sand on me and THEN have mother-hen mommy telling me I am a bad woman becasue I don’t think her kid is the cat’s meow!

Ta says:

If you want to be with kids…fine, allow us that want a childfree zone a few acres. Allow that diversity in the world."

I want to mention that there were a few women defending children and mothers/parents and Thank God for them because otherwise I would really be sad about humanity today. I think it's people who write things like what's posted above who need children in their lives the most.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness.

These women are ranting and raving, but there is definitely a grain of truth to their arguments.

Although they speak unskillfully, the message is that children are not the sole purpose for life on the planet. It is really nice to be sensitive to children and their different needs, but some people choose to live with adults. Just like parents seek to change society (for example, television programs) for their kids, people without kids also seek for a corner of society in which to play without children to deal with.

We didn't have the kids, so why should be have to endure them when their parents don't step up to the plate?

Just a thought.